JIM JAMES’ NEW COVERS ALBUM TRIBUTE TO 2 OUT NOW VIA ATO RECORDS
December 8, 2017
‘TRIBUTE TO 2’ FEATURES COVERS OF THE BEACH BOYS, WILLIE NELSON, DIANNE IZZO, EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER AND MORE
JAMES’ 2009 ‘TRIBUTE TO’ EP RE-ISSUE ALSO OUT NOW WITH BONUS TRACK AND NEW COVER ART
STREAM JIM JAMES’ VERSION OF “THE WORLD IS FALLING DOWN”
BY ABBEY LINCOLN
LA’S AMOEBA MUSIC CONFIRM JIM JAMES IN-STORE
PERFORMANCE AND ALBUM SIGNING FOR JANUARY 18
Jim James is releasing his new album Tribute To 2 and a reissue of 2009’s Tribute To today via ATO Records. Tribute To 2 is a collection of cover songs that reverberate with fresh meaning. Blurring the boundaries of time and genre, James interprets songs made famous by a wide variety of artists. See below for track listing and the album is available HERE.
Beginning on street date, Los Angeles-based fans who purchase the album at Amoeba Musiccan meet Jim James at a rare in-store performance and signing on January 18th 2018. Free and all ages, the event will begin at 6 pm PST that evening.
“The World Is Falling Down” by Abbey Lincoln was the impetus for Tribute To 2; listen to James’ thoughtful cover of the song and see its visualizer HERE.
“Even though she released this song in 1991 it felt so relevant to right now,” James explained. “I think so many of us feel the world is falling apart right now – that the powers that be are trying to divide us and rip us apart … when I heard that song it just resonated deeply because there is such pain there but I feel she also is offering hope and realization that we need each other’s help in times of crisis.”
Unlike his 2009 EP of songs by George Harrison and the Beatles, Tribute To, which was recorded on an eight-track, reel-to-reel tape recorder in the days following Harrison’s passing, the 11 songs of Tribute To 2 were recorded over a period of years – in different places, with different gear and varied instrumentation. On December 15th, independent record stores across the US will exclusively release a limited-edition gold-colored vinyl edition of Tribute To 2. Pre-order from your local independent record store today and receive instant access to a stream of the record. Visit www.recordstoreday.com for a list of independent record stores.
The Tribute To re-issue also out today features new cover art and a bonus track – James’ cover of Bob Dylan’s “If Not For You”, which was also recorded in the original 2001 session.
James explains, “These are some of my favorite covers – songs I recorded trying to bring myself peace during a rough time or trying to make myself laugh or just have fun. I hope others can relate and enjoy the journey during these tough times and hopefully in times of peace and love as well!”
Tribute To 2 – Track Listing
1. I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times —- by The Beach Boys
2. Baby Don’t Go —- by Sonny & Cher
3. Wild Honey —- by Diane Izzo
4. Midnight, the Stars and You —- by Ray Noble & Al Bowlly
5. Crying in the Chapel —- by The Orioles
6. Funny How Time Slips Away —- by Willie Nelson
7. Love is the Sweetest Thing —- by Ray Noble & Al Bowlly
8. I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight —- by Bob Dylan
9. Lucky Man —- by Emerson, Lake & Palmer
10. The World is Falling Down —- by Abbey Lincoln
11. Blue Skies —- by Irving Berlin
Tribute To – Reissue Track Listing
1. Long, Long, Long —- by George Harrison
2. Behind That Locked Door —- by George Harrison
3. Love You To —- by George Harrison
4. My Sweet Lord —- by George Harrison
5. Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll) —- by George Harrison
6. All Things Must Pass —- by George Harrison
7. If Not For You [Bonus Track] —- by Bob Dylan